Physician and philanthropist, Dr Alexander MacFadzean (1788-1849) originated the proposal to form the town of Ardrossan into a burgh. He was a respected philanthropist and physician who took over and ran the Bath Complex. He was instrumental in pressing for the supply of piped water, completed after his death in 1860, and is commemorated on Castle Hill.
The hydropathic bathing facility provided hot and cold, fresh and salt-water bathing. The surviving Georgian Bath Villa is a c.1870 building which acted as the lodging house for the attached baths, now gone. The original architect was John Cleland with restoration work undertaken in 1989.
The Geograph website has a photograph of a momument to Alexander MacFadzean.
Back to the Ardrossan Trail