Coia and Kennedy were the key architects in Gillespie, Kidd & Coia, a Scottish architectural firm famous for their application of modernism in churches and universities, as well as at St Peter's Seminary in Cardross. Though founded in 1927, it is for their work in the post-war period that they are best known. The firm was wound up in 1987. St Peter-ad-Vincula was one of their earliest designs.
In 1938, the firm designed a church built in red and yellow brick showing a Scandinavian influence. This Roman Catholic church was constructed on the site of the 'Pavillion', a house within the ownership of the Earl of Eglinton.
Back to the Ardrossan Trail