The ecclesiastical complex today called the Cathedral of the Isles was constructed as an Episcopalian college with adjoining church and residences for students and choir boys. It was the idea of G F Boyle, who became 6th Earl of Glasgow, and was designed by William Butterfield. Construction started in 1849 and was completed in 1851. In 1876, a cathedra (bishop's chair) was installed in the church and it became a seat of the Bishop of Argyll and the Isles. So now the college's small church was now a cathedral.
Today the church is still a cathedral, possibly the smallest in the world. It holds Sunday services and is popular for weddings. Music recitals also take place sometimes using the cathedral's own organ, harpsichord or grand piano. The residences have been converted to bed and breakfast accommodation for visitors to the island. Carved Stones
In the entranceway to the church are a collection of early medieval carved stones. They are gravemarkers from the Kirkton Graveyard and the Trahoun Cross which was found at the Garrison near to the Guildford Street entrance.
Back to the Cumbrae Trail