This is Cumbrae's sole standing stone though there are records of two more nearby. Its old name was the Gouklan Pillar and is sited in Craigengour Wood at the top of the Ferry Road. Over the years it has been toppled and reset in concrete. People have also dug under and around the stone but no artefacts have been found. In the 20th century its surface was carved with many initials.
Other pre-historic sites to be found on Great Cumbrae include -
Lady's Grave NS 1830 5888
A cairn at Holm Bay, Tomont End. Found in the field near the road it is 10m in diameter with a hollowed centre. It was excavated in 1878 and an urn and burnt bones found.
Down Craig Fort NS 1819 5796
A narrow promontory 60m long protected by cliffs on three sides and a ditch and rampart.
Back to the Cumbrae Trail