After two years of construction Trinity Church opened for worship in 1863. Out of the nine designs submitted, the one by Edinburgh architect F T Pilkington was chosen. Construction was carried out by mostly Irvine contractors; Archibald Wilson, mason, John Kier, slater, J B McFarlane, plumber, Robert McCreadie, plasterer, Gilfillan and Son, painting, and David Kier of Glasgow, glazing. The spire was added six years later and brought the total cost of the build to £7,000. Originally 170-foot high, the spire was shortened within a year when found to be too heavy. Its first minister was the widely-known and widely-respected Rev William Bruce Robertson.
Externally the style is Venetian Gothic and uses green, white and red stonework. The most imposing aspect of the building is the west gable with a rose window 28 feet in diameter.
Inside the design was modern in its day. There was space for 750 worshippers in roomy pews. It was described "..comfortable benches to sit upon, all face the pulpit, as that not only has the speaker command of every one, but the temptation to look away from him is obviated by this arrangement". Its wide pulpit, with three reliefs separated by four statuettes of the evangelists, all in Caen stone, was more ornate than was usual for a Presbyterian place of worship!
The stained glass was the gift of J H Young, Mrs Henderson and Mrs McKinlay, and was made by Field and Allan of Edinburgh. Sections of the glass can be seen in Irvine Branch Library. It ended its days as a church in 1966.
Back to the Irvine Trail