The present road bridge which crosses the River Garnock was built in 1857. However, it is a widening of a narrower earlier bridge, parts of which can still be seen when viewed from underneath, and there are also indications of the lade or watercourse of an adjacent mill, now demolished.
The first bridge was constructed in 1439 when Adam Spark, Abbot of Kilwinning Abbey, received permission from the Vatican to build it. This first bridge replaced the ford which was originally the only way to cross from the town, which at that time was mainly on the east side of the river in Corsehill area, to the Abbey on the west side.
Vintage photos of the bridge show a sign for a 12 ton weight limit, however, much heavier vehicles cross it often today.
Back to the Kilwinning Trail