Kilwinning was once served by two railway companies, the Glasgow & South Western and the Caledonian, both with their own stations and lines. The "Caley" line opened to Kilwinning in 1888. Passenger services were withdrawn in 1932, but the station buildings largely remained until 1956 when the long corridor along the street level and stairway down to the platforms were taken down and the area was flattened. The site was used mainly for parking and hosting 'The Shows' or travelling fairs. Part of the main station building was kept for a while and was converted into a fish and chip shop.
The site remained vacant until the joint YMCA/YWCA and the Cornerstone Church was built in 1985, designed by Irvine Development Corporation in a shape to reflect the old booking hall, at a cost of one million pounds. It is now flats known as Caley House.
The railway line passed under the road of course, but the "bridge" still exists, filled in and buried under the new development and landscaping.
A large stone viaduct bridge, still to be seen today, was constructed by Robert McAlpine for the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway Company in 1886, north of the Woodwynd housing estate to carry rail traffic over the river Garnock, and forms part of a popular country walk.
Back to the Kilwinning Trail