An ancient structure, it once stood on a site at the junction of Moncur Road and Corsehillhead and was presumed to be one of the original wooden crosses which adorned the towers of the ancient monastery. It was repaired in 1850 when Princess Mary of Cambridge visited Eglinton Castle. A replica of the original was made by Messrs. Palmer Bros. and erected shortly before Queen Elizabeth II visited Kilwinning on 3rd July, 1956. This cross and section of rare octagonal shaft are on display in the Abbey Tower Heritage Centre. The modern one seen now is by sculptor Ian Cooper.
The house on the corner, numbered 14, is an 18th century domestic building, partly demolished in the 1940s, and rebuilt by the former Irvine Development Corporation in 1985. It won a Civic Trust Award in 1986.
24 Main Street, dated 1744, is a Listed building. The date appears on the roof corner stone, though other details suggest a much earlier date. This is possibly the "house at the Croce" (Cross) mentioned in Masons' minute books of 1642, and used as their Lodge, or "Mason's howff", until 1790. Now a private dwelling, it too was restored by IDC and won a Civic Trust Award in 1986.
The Buffs Tavern dated 1714. The date is in the roundel above the door, but is now covered. It has an attractive pediment and scroll skew at the roof line. The 'Buffs' refers to the local football team, Kilwinning Rangers.
Back to the Kilwinning Trail