In 1926, Robert Barr gifted the land at Barrfield to the town of Largs. Four years later the entertainment hall was constructed. Originally it was called Barr Hall but soon became known as Barrfields Pavilion.
It was a wonder of its time as it was both lit and heated by electricity and could seat over one thousand. It was planned to open it both summer and winter to provide indoor entertainment in all weathers.
That first summer a revue called Largs Entertainers of 1930 was staged but for the following ten summers Harry Kemp put on "Sunny Days" twice nightly. Among those appearing were the Houston Sisters, Joseph Hislop and the Jack Ansell Band.
The Pavilion shut during the war and was used to service the Largs fleet of flying boats.
Other impresarios took over from Kemp, such as, G B Bowie, Archie McCulloch and Eric Morley. They brought with them top stars including Andy Stewart, Sally Logan, Johnnie Beattie and Calum Kennedy.
The Pavilion was also used for political rallies and conventions. Among those to give speeches were - Nye Bevan, Hugh Gatskell, Willie Ross, Sir Anthony Eden and Prime Minister Jim Callaghan who arrived by helicopter.
In 1995, Cunninghame District Council revamped the old Pavilion and built Vikingar! This new heritage and leisure centre cost £4.2 million and was opened by television presenter Carol Smillie.
Back to the Largs Trail