In June 1816, the first public baths in Largs opened after £2000 was raised by public subscription. It contained hot, cold, vapour and spray baths, billiard room, library and large coffee room.
The annual subscription was £1 1s and the charges were 1s 6d for a hot spray bath and 1s for a cold one. This was at a time when very few people had bathrooms in their homes. The baths were also used by visitors to the town who were on holiday.
Such establishments fell out of fashion and the building was converted into halls in the early 1870s where the Justice of Peace Courts and public meetings were held. Bath Hall was acquired by William Harper and remained in the possession the Harper family until 1936 when it was gifted to the local branch of the ToC H (an international Christian movement) by the widow of Provost David Harper.
During World War II it was used by servicemen as a place to relax and meet with friends. In October 1941, Toc H Services Club extended their facilities by erecting a wooden structure in Fort Street. In April 1946 the structure was demolished and acquired by Wm Tyre& Son to use at as a tool shed. And in August 1946 all connection with the military ceased when Toc H was removed from the Command Register by the army.
The photo below shows Toc H Service Club. Shown here are Fred J Thomson (second from the right) chairman of the Largs branch of Toc H and his daughter Millie (second from the left).
Ayr County Council then leased the south hall in 1942 at an annual rent of £30 and used it to house Largs Public Library. By 1954, the building was in need of repair and Toc H couldn't find the £300 needed to fix the roof and offered it for sale. Ayr County Council bought the library portion in July of 1955. At the start of 1956, the Council spent £650 repairing the roof and installing toilets for the staff.
In 1983, a new library was built in Allanpark Road and the hall was refurbished by Cunninghame District Council to become a community centre.
Today the south hall is the Brisbane Centre but Toc H still retain the smaller north hall as their own.
Back to the Largs Trail